There is usually only one reason why people sleep with socks on and it’s a very simple reason - their feet are cold. Having cold feet or poor circulation is a major problem for some people, especially when it comes to sleep.
No matter how many blankets you may have on, for some reason, your feet are still cold. But do not fear, there is a reason for your cold feet, you aren’t alone, and by simply wearing a pair of socks, your cold feet can be a thing of the past.
Why Do I Have Cold Feet?
Many people just have cold feet. It’s an unfortunate problem that you are just born with. Women usually suffer with cold feet more often than men, hence the constant need to out their cold feet on your warm ones at night.
Another reason is poor circulation. If you have trouble with your circulation, your hands and feet are the first things that will get cold. It doesn’t matter which of these problems you have, socks can solve them.
If your feet stay cold, and nothing seems to help, we highly suggest seeking the help of a medical professional, as this could be a sign of something more serious.
Why Do You Need Warm Feet?
Being warm when you go to bed allows you to relax and settle down quicker, therefore helping you fall asleep quicker, and stay asleep for longer. Basically, you need warm feet to have a proper night's sleep.
Having constantly cold feet will most definitely affect your sleep patterns, and will affect them a lot quicker than you think. Sorting out your cold feet people quickly and efficiently is strongly advised.
Benefits of Wearing Socks to Bed
Having warm feet is only one of the many benefits associated with sleeping with socks on. Others include :
- Many women, and some men, have found that wearing socks at night helps lower their core body temperature. This in turn then helps to lower the effects of having a hot flash.
- If you suffer with dry and cracked heels and feet, wearing socks while you sleep can help this. They socks will help moisturize your feet and prevent them from drying out further during the night.
- Scientists accidentally discovered that wearing socks during intercourse can raise the chances of orgasm for both parties by up to 30%.
- Raynaud’s disease, a condition that affects the skin, usually around the hands and feet, causes poor circulation to these areas. The effects of this condition can be lessened by wearing socks and gloves, which keeps the blood circulating properly.
There are some simple methods to improving circulation in and to your feet.
- Before you go to sleep, you can give your feet and lower legs a massage. There is no need to do a deep-tissue type massage, but rubbing your feet and muscles will increase the blood flow and help warm your feet up.
- If you are using a massage oil or a moisturizer on your feet, add a circulatory booster such as capsaicin cream to them. This cream will give your blood vessels a small zing and will give your blood the boost it needs to circulate properly.
- If you don’t have time for the massage, or don’t have any capsaicin cream, simply warm your socks up by sitting on them, placing them in the microwave for a few seconds, or blasting them with a hairdryer for a minute or two.
Keep in mind, there is a downside to wearing socks while you are sleeping. Even if your feet are cold, the rest of your body can overheat. Make sure you either take your socks off once your feet are warm, or you take them off during the night. Don’t leave them on if the rest of your body is getting too hot.
Wearing Compression Socks at Night
Compression socks are designed to improve circulation, therefore it is easy to see why people think they are a good choice when sleeping. In short, they are not to be worn when sleeping.
Compression socks increase blood flood to your legs and feet, but this process only works while you are standing and moving around. This process is reversed when lying down, and the socks will actually draw blood away from your feet and potentially create blockages while you sleep.
Loose socks will actually help improve circulation, and are a much better alternative to tighter, more constrictive compression socks.
Should Babies Wear Socks to Bed?
To keep your children's feet warm, it is advised to stay away from electrical blankets or heated socks. These can be dangerous and you run the risk of your child overheating while they sleep.
The best solution is to bathe them before bed in warm water, and then to dress them in pre-warmed socks.
If you think your baby is too warm, look out for :
⦁ Excessive or even minimal sweating
⦁ Red, flushed cheeks
⦁ Fidgeting and irritation while trying to sleep.
Best Socks for Sleeping
Bamboo is one of the better sock materials for keeping your feet warm. Other materials, such as cotton or wool, provide too much, or too little, heat protection. Your feet will either be too cold or way too hot. Bamboo will give you the perfect temperature.
Bamboo also has exceptional temperature control properties. This means your feet will stay at a comfortable warm temperature when they are cold, but they will also cool down slightly if your feet are too hot.
The bamboo fibers have superior moisture wicking abilities, preventing your feet from sweating too much, but also allowing them to stay slightly moisturized and help with dryness and cracks.
Bamboo socks are most definitely the right choice of sock if you are suffering from cold feet. They will ensure your feet stay warm enough without the rest of your body overheating. They are also incredibly comfortable, this is a winning combination for a good night's sleep.